Sunday, February 21, 2010

Finally, Action

I've finally, finally started working on the kitchen table & chairs. I am so sick of talking about it and not doing anything. The husband offered to host poker in April and it's kicked me into high gear getting the house presentable.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to paint the table a glossy, shiny white...

Photobucket
RoomService

Photobucket
amode

Photobucket
Interior Delights

Or go with a weathered look...

Photobucket
In the Fun Lane

Photobucket

Photobucket
Jed Johnson via Interior Divine

So I decided that I'd try a glossy white with a weathered backup plan. What I'm doing is this: sanding the finish off down to the wood, and painting the furniture with one coat of black flat paint. Then I'll paint with white gloss. If I can't get the white gloss to look beautiful, I'll sand down a bit to the black.

This gives me an out, and also possibly gives me a black & white table - and I do so adore black & white.

It took two days to accomplish:
Trip to Lowe's for supplies
Moving heavy table and chairs out to the garage, which required removing the legs and reattaching them
Removing the seat cushions from six chairs
Figuring out which sandpaper went on the palm sander
Sand top of table with palm sander
Sand ONE chair by hand and paint it black

Doesn't seem like a lot, but with family visiting, demanding Little Boy, and working a bit, it's not bad. Going to do the white coat on the chair tomorrow. I am doing a chair first to make sure my paint adheres well. I don't want to paint the entire table (which seats ten) and find out my technique is all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment