Wednesday, September 2, 2009

kitchen table & chairs

We were lucky enough to have a dining table with leaves and chairs given to us by my mother's friend. It desperately needs a paint job, but with a new baby and my indecision about upholstery, it's been put on hold for a while. I'm definitely painting the set white, and I originally wanted aqua geometric print like one of these Waverly prints:

Photobucket
Photobucket

However, with the prospect of a toddler in the near future (and my incredible clumsiness), I'm not sure a pretty print is wise. I was browsing Joann.com and happened upon burlap, which is cheap and the perfect shade of brown to hide my coffee stains and baby food. Then I remembered that Layla at The Lettered Cottage has used burlap in several places in her home (my favorite - the dining room curtains in this post) and felt like a genius.

After consulting with my dear friend Mr. Google, I found that Melaine at My Sweet Savannah upholstered a chair in burlap. Our chairs are a lot like Jennifer's at The Old Painted Cottage, which you can see here (and see her amazing cottage reno in this post).

Here are our chairs (with a couple of prints from Calico Corners and please excuse the terrible photo):
Photobucket

And my main inspiration photo - the table closely resembles my table and I do love those mismatched chairs:
Photobucket

Just one thing...I haven't told the husband my plans. No doubt - he will think I am completely nuts and that it will be ugly...but I'm sure he'll change his tune once I'm done!

p.s. I would have posted more pictures instead of all the links but I'm not sure what the blog etiquette is quite yet.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the fabric on the right in your photo, but I also like the burlap idea. I did our antique chairs in a blue-grey velvet which is quite possibly going to be ruined by our baby (oh well). I was going to paint them but ended up liking how they looked lightly sanded and leaving them that way. I'll have to find pics for a before/ after!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics. Why choose only one? The chairs might be the same but the fabrics could be different patterns in the the same colors. Try a geometric and a stipe combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv the big bold print from Calico Corners. I don't envy you having to paint the chairs but I know that they will look smashing once finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls! Those are all great ideas, and Charlotte - I love the print but think the scale is a bit wrong for the chair seats.

    ReplyDelete